Hi brand team!
Do you have a package design project underway or coming down the pipe?
Awesome, let’s innovate!
In this blog, I share 3 tips to help you on your journey to efficient and thoughtful package design & development.
Helpful ideas that you can use right now!
Ok, lets get your brand in their hands (and shopping cart) in 2017
- Utilize big data & insight
- Nail down design costs
- Discover print innovation
Do these 3 things to make better, smarter and easier packaging!
Ok, let’s look at each one in a little more detail:
- Utilize big data and insight – In 2017 category captains will have access to, and use big data, more than ever before. Data and insight will guide design decisions. As said by W. Edwards Deming – Data Scientist “Without data your just another person with an opinion.” I’m not suggesting that design should rely on data alone. All design work needs the human touch, however data and insight will provide facts that help to reduce risk. The data is there. Use it!
- Nail down design costs –Package design is a niche skill. There will always be a lower cost designer out there, but do they do good packaging work? Ask for a portfolio and testimonials before you choose your design partner. There are many awesome package designers to choose from at a range of prices. Issuing a design RFP is an ideal way to control your costs. Approach 5 designers including those you already use. Qualify them for fit and capability criteria. Issue an RFP to 3 finalists and award your business to the best value proposition.
- Discover print innovation – Personalization, connected packaging and engaging print effects are trending. What’s next? If you do not have a relationship with a flexible pouch, folding carton and label supplier you may be the last to know. Start making connections with package printers! Become an enabler of the dialogue between printer and designer early in the design process. Your designer will design better! Seek out printers that have very high standards of quality and invest in workflow tools. Ask them about their recent investments and future investment plans. These are very revealing questions.
I hope these 3 tips prove useful to you!
Karen Blumel Consulting is a firm that specializes in consumer packaging innovation. I have over 10,000 hands-on leadership and experience hours in packaging strategy, design and development.
Please do reach out for a consultation.